Top 5 Lip treatments for Winter
Lush’s Lip ServiceAll of Lush’s products are homemade with natural ingredients so are gentle on your skin. Lip Service contains ‘beeswax, cocoa butter, shea butter, organic extra virgin olive oil and apricot kernal oil to lock in moisture to you lips and protect them from the weather. African marigold herb is included, because it is reputed to have anti-viral properties on the lips. A delicate flavour of pure tangerine oil finishes this product off.’ I recommend warming the tin in your hand before use for an easier application.
Vaseline Lip Therapy The one product I never leave the house without! The retro tin design looks great in my handbag and the petroleum jelly formula is gentle on lips, producing instant hydration. Vaseline Lip Therapy comes in many different flavours from Original to Crème Brûlée. Cocoa butter is my favourite!
Maybelline Baby Lips Maybelline boasts that their new balm contains a lip renew formula that moisturises lips for up to 8 hours. What I love about this particular treatment is that it comes in different tints too; creating a glossy look to keep you looking stylish whilst repairing damaged lips. Try Pink Punch and Peach Kiss!
Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Lip Balm Tube Another favourite tinted balm of mine, the Pomegranate colour is darker than that of Maybelline’s Baby Lips for those who prefer a bolder look. Again the packaging is beautiful and this product also contains 100% natural ingredients including beeswax and antioxidant-rich Pomegranate Oil.
Carmex Cherry Flavoured Lip Balm Another classic, this rich balm formula with nourishing butters to sooth dry lips also contains SPF15 to protect from UV damage. I like a flavoured lip balm so I recommend the Carmex’s cherry flavoured formula.
Tips for maintaining soft lips…
- Drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated during winter to avoid dry skin and dry, cracked lips.
- Avoid licking your lips throughout the day as the enzymes from your saliva can break down the delicate skin causing them to be sore. This can also lead to cracked corners of the mouth.
- Exfoliate your lips daily before bed or when you wake up as part of your beauty routine. Try Lush’s Popcorn Flavoured Lip Scrub, a pot of sweet tasting sugary scrub that you can lick off after use. Or Elf’s Lip Exfoliator, a lip scrub that comes in a lipstick form for easy application. Rubbing a toothbrush over our lips after brushing your teeth also works. The skin on your lips is delicate so never scrub away at your lips but exfoliate gently to avoid them getting too raw.
- Take care in selecting your make-up. Try to avoid certain lip products (watch matte and long lasting lipsticks) that contain types of alcohol. They tend to strip away the natural moisture that your lips produce. Also if possible avoid wearing lipstick every day.
- Make a daily routine to maintain gorgeous looking lips. I exfoliate before bed and then apply Vaseline so that I wake up to silky smooth lips!
Contributor: Araminta Pender